Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Senior Health 1


Physical Health as Long as Possible

“So Curmudge, what will be the next big event in your life?”

“My memorial service, Julie.  I do hope you plan to attend.”

“I’ll be there with bells on.  I’ll even sing, ‘I’ll be glad when you’re dead, you rascal, you.’  So when will this shindig occur?   I want to put it on my calendar.”

“It could be next week or maybe not for several years.  Who knows?  In any case, it’s my next big thing.  That’s probably true for a lot of my senior citizen neighbors.  It’s been said that ‘there’s something wrong with each of us,’ but the lethality of our ailments varies widely.  Most of us have lost a spouse, and that emotional earthquake certainly shortens the survivor’s life.  In addition, most of us no longer have a job; we’ve written about the impact of that.”

“Golly, Curmudge, you have lost both.  You already have two strikes against you.”

“Right-o, Julie.  Nothing can demonstrate the intrinsic value of a job more clearly than the feeling one gets when he is fired from a job for which he is receiving no compensation.”

“The hoof beats you hear are not a zebra, Old Guy; they are the grim reaper (actually, one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse).  What’s your plan?”

“For me, I‘d prefer that life would end like a precipitous waterfall rather than a succession of painful grade IV rapids.  In fact, that’s the topic of today’s discussion: how a senior citizen might live life to the fullest while staying ahead of the grim reaper.”

“I presume that this problem needs to be attacked physically as well as mentally.  We’ve discussed most of this in past blog postings, so now we’ll pull the pieces together and focus on senior citizens.”

“That’s the idea, Julie.  We’ve observed that most seniors live life in the slow lane.  Everything I do takes longer.  My senses—sight, hearing, touch, balance—are going to pot.  I tie shoes and button buttons slowly, and I must wait two minutes with my eyes closed after putting in eye drops.  My senses of taste and smell are degrading, which might be a blessing considering my diet.”

“Speaking of diet, Curmudge, we realize that one should eat more fruits, vegetables, and fiber.  And I know that you are trying to improve.”

“Well, I‘ve put away the sugar bowl and the salt shaker, and my carbohydrates are whole grain with lots of oats and rye.  Whenever it’s convenient, I eat in the hospital cafeteria.  Because I am unwilling to spend time on food preparation, I’m testing two powders as my source of greens: ‘Advanced Greens Formula’ (1) and ‘Mega-8 Superfoods’ (2) suggested by Doc Mack.  But I might starve if my microwave goes kaput.”

“I hope you are not like some seniors who neglect—or forget—to take their prescription meds.”

“Not a problem, Julie.  I take only a few prescriptions and some supplements based on my studies of the pertinent literature.  I follow the advice we gave in our alternative medicine postings that started on September 27, 2013.”

“What about exercise, Old Guy?  It’s really important for seniors.  Many years ago you did stretches and weights at 6:30 a.m. and you jogged a mile or two at 10:00 p.m.”

“Regrettably, I now get up at 7:00 and go to bed around 10:00.  So the old schedule doesn’t work.  I now jog a bit in the basement of our apartment building and walk the steps in the building downtown where I used to volunteer.  It’s obvious that more exercise is needed to improve my posture.  At least I’m getting adequate rest, which is important for seniors.”

“Here’s our bottom line for today, at least as I see it, Curmudge.  As a role model for seniors, you are okay qualitatively and quite inadequate quantitatively.  You are doing a lot of the right things, but you need to do them better and with more regularity.  Overall you’re scrawny, which should help longevity, but inside you’re a Twinkie.”

Merci, ma chère.  But that’s better than a bratwurst.  So much for the senior body.  In our next posting, let’s tackle brain health for seniors.”

Kaizen Curmudgeon


Link to posting from blog archives: Hey patients, checklists are okay. 4/29/10

No comments: