Thursday, July 1, 2010

AIDET Redux

“I guess what you are talking about, Curmudge, is AIDET all over again. Back on October 1, 2009 we discussed AIDET for Physicians. Of course everyone at Affinity should know about using AIDET (Acknowledge-Introduce-Duration-Explanation-Thank you) in communications with patients.”

“At Affinity, yes, but not everywhere. In Twice Blessed on May 13, I mentioned that many older patients use providers all over the area for various aspects of their health care. I’m one of them, and I had a rather simple procedure performed outside of Affinity a few weeks ago. Probably most Affinity employees and volunteers observe their health care encounters in other organizations with a critical eye, as I did.”

“And, Mr. Secret Shopper, what did you see?”

“First of all, I must congratulate the technician on her congeniality and professional performance. I’m confident that she did an excellent job. But with one exception, she didn’t use AIDET. She called me from the waiting room by my not-very-common first name, but she made no further effort (last name? date of birth?) to make certain of my identity. She never identified herself nor did she introduce the student who accompanied her. (‘This is Mary Smith, a student from the University of Wherever. Do you mind if she observes?’) I asked the young woman if she were a student, and her only word during the whole encounter was ‘Yes.’”

“Curmudge, you tend to ‘chat up’ nurses and techs; without that it would have been a very quiet encounter.”

“That’s right, Jaded Julie. The technician never explained the procedure, but I already knew how it was done and how long it would take. When it was finished, I’ll give her credit for telling me that I would learn the results in about a week. I thanked her for her good work, and her final words were, ‘Go through that door and turn left.’”

“I’m not impressed. Any other observations?”

“While a few other patients and I sat in the waiting room, a couple of the techs (or whoever) stood around the desk and talked about their weekend. That didn’t appear very professional.”

“So other than using AIDET, what would be your recommendations for that organization?”

“When I was in the same waiting room a few years ago, they had a phlebotomist whose welcoming smile would have melted the heart of the grouchiest curmudgeon. I had to restrain myself from running up to her, holding out my arm, and saying, ‘here, take my blood.’ And I wasn’t even there for a blood draw.”

“Your lesson must be that if one doesn’t practice AIDET, an engaging smile will go a long way.”

“It’s more than that, Julie. A pleasant voice has to accompany the smile. Here’s the complete lesson: Smile and speak with your most reassuring voice, acknowledge the patient by name and with eye contact, introduce yourself as completely as seems appropriate, explain the procedure and its duration, and thank the patient for coming in.”

“That sounds great, Curmudge. Why don’t you do that at the beginning of each of our discussions?”

“Because you already know that I’m just an old grouch.”

Affinity’s Kaizen Curmudgeon

No comments: